Music for Ketamine-Assisted Psychotherapy Sessions
Training & Retreats
These programs are designed to provide interested physicians, psychologists, therapists, nurses, chaplains, and other healthcare professionals with principles and procedures of ketamine-assisted psychotherapy in a clinical setting.
In this workshop, we explore various aspects of using music to enhance patients’ experiences in ketamine assisted psychotherapy (KAP), including track selection and arrangement, matching music and sound effects with drug effects, effective use of transference and countertransference in relation to music. We consider the dual role of the facilitator – one part therapist and one part sonic alchemist – in using various kinds of music to synergize with the dissociative effects of ketamine and enhance a spacious state of mind, often symbolized by transpersonal visions of vast interstellar space, intricate subterranean caverns, and luscious underwater seascapes. We share examples of specific tracks and fully-curated playlists, and we offer experiential learning exercises to help participants understand the various phases of the sonic journey. We give participants a better understanding of the methods used to prepare and create music sets for ketamine sessions to deepen the patient’s therapeutic process, open their hearts and minds to the vibrational dimensions of consciousness, and support healing from depression, anxiety, and PTSD.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- List two specific elements of music selection and arrangement that should be considered when conducting KAP sessions.
- Describe two features of ketamine playlists that facilitate or impede psychedelic sessions.
- Describe two ways to respond skillfully to patients’ distaste or resistance to the music.
Information on Continuing Education Credit for Health Professionals:
Polaris Insight Center provides didactic, experiential, and residential training in ketamine-assisted psychotherapy. These programs are designed to provide interested physicians, psychologists, therapists, nurses, and other healthcare professionals with principles and procedures of KAP and how to use ketamine in combination with psychotherapy in a clinical setting.
We offer the training in multiple modules with Module 1 being a required course for Modules 2-5 and the Practice Module. Taking modules in the sequence is recommended but not required, as each module builds on the knowledge and skills taught in the previous module.
The Music Module is $200 ($175 + a $25 non-refundable administrative fee) and 4 CE credits are available for an additional $39.
Cancellation Policy: Participants need to cancel up to 2 weeks in advance to receive a 100% refund of the $175. If canceled after the 2-weeks-in-advance period they can use the credit for a future training or receive a 50% refund.
Information on Continuing Education Credit for Health Professionals
- CE credits for psychologists are provided by Polaris Insight Center which is sponsoring this program. Polaris Insight Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Polaris Insight Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFTs, and other mental health professionals from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board as to whether or not they accept programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- For questions about enrolling in CEs for psychologists, LCSWs, LPCCs, LEPs, and LMFT or any other CE questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spiritual Competency Academy (SCA), a co-sponsor of this program, is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP16887) for licensed nurses in California. Spiritual Competency Academy maintains responsibility for this program and its content. RNs must retain their certificate of attendance for 4 years after the course concludes.
- For questions about CEs for nurses, visit www.spiritualcompetencyacademy.com or contact the Spiritual Competency Academy at email@example.com
- Other questions about training can be emailed to our Training Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Testimonials from past attendees:
“Thank you so much for the incredible and very interesting and informative training. I loved it… Really really appreciated everything you shared.”– Tatiana
“Thank you so much for a wonderful experience! This is helping me get un-burned-out from online trainings!”– Vivian
“Each seminar I’ve attended through Polaris (prior to this one) felt within my comfort level. Of course there are always learning edges and opportunities for growth. Still, every seminar prior to this felt like we were going to cover topics that felt familiar and that might just be a comfortable, easeful stretch. This seminar was different. I walked into it feeling a bit intimidated and over my head. I really appreciated how you made the information 1) accessible and 2) inspirational.It was really helpful to have the step-by-step hardware and software information, as well as the suggestions for timing and music selection at different points in time throughout the journey. There are countless ways in which both of you broke down topics related to music and made things seem easier to wrap one’s head around. It was also just interesting to hear the theory and thoughts behind creating a playlist (for example, if everything is incredibly ambient, it may not give enough texture to move someone through the journey). As both of you broke everything down into easier in more digestible pieces, it allowed for less of a feeling like creating musical playlists is out of reach… and, actually made it seem interesting, dynamic, moving, and something that I might actually want to do haha. Basically, the idea shifted from something intimidating to inspiring!”– Alicia